Saturday, December 7, 2013

Two Artists, One Painting

Back in September, a friend and I worked on a digital painting together. It was a little warm-up to our semester, and we figured a little extra practice would do us both good. As we passed the file back and forth, we had one just rule: we weren't allowed to ask each other what the other was painting.

First, I painted a red balloon and tossed in some color for a sky:

Next, my friend tied the balloon to a cute little door:

Then, I decided the door should lead to another dimension, and that a tree was a fantastic place for this to happen...

Lastly, my friend gave the tree a ground plane to sit on, and filled the sky with clouds.

This was the first time I had shared a digital painting with someone, and it was fun to see what we came up with. Hopefully over the winter break, we will do more of these to keep us from getting too rusty :)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pokemon for Charity

I just realized I never posted this painting anywhere on any of my pages.

I participated in a gallery organized by Amy Kim and Peter Le, two amazing people from my program. There were 151 artists who were each assigned one of the original 151 Pokemon. They were to illustrate that Pokemon in whatever style they wanted to. These pieces were all auctioned off online, and all the proceeds went to Canines for Disabled Children.

Kotaku got word of us and we were featured on their page, and because of that, our auction got way more views than we ever imagined.

If you want to see all 151 pieces, click here.

My Pokemon was Vileplume.

This was painted with acrylic paint on cold press illustration board. I never thought it would earn more than $15 for the auction, but it ended up going for $250.

I was very humbled by the experience. I learned that although I may hate my work and I think I'm absolutely right to believe it sucks, others may think it is worth much more. I learned that perfection isn't everything.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Speed Painting #16

It's been a while...

This one's not super speedy. It took me about 1.5 to 2 hours, but I really liked how it turned out considering the time I spent on it.

Here's the photo:

And here's the painting:

The painting's got a bunch of flaws, and I wasn't done, but even so, it's got some believability to it. Looking at my past speed paintings, this one definitely shows that I'm improving :)